Monday, August 5, 2013

The Big Cut...

Anyone who knows me, knows that I LOVE my hair.  I am very blessed with thick, strait blonde hair.  I've always had long hair, except for one moment of insanity when I was in 2nd grade.  Besides that, my hair has always been at my shoulders or longer.  I am also very, very attached to my hair and not just because it is attached to my body. 

When I was younger and I thought about what would be the worse thing someone could ask me to do, it was to shave my head.  I had dreams about someone holding a gun to my head asking me to choose between shaving my head or getting shot -- I would have to stop and think for a long time before making that decision.  I'm so thankful that has never been a real life situation. 

A few years ago, I decided that I would grow my hair, so that I could donate it.  I felt I'm so lucky to have this amazing hair, the least I could do it share it.  My goal was to grow it to my hips, so that when I cut the minimum of 8 inches it would still be long.  Earlier this year, I began measuring it to see how much longer I had to go before I could cut my hair and have it not be short.  I had decided that the 8 inches were there and it would not be too short.  So, I made an appointment in March.  The day before the appointment, I canceled it because I just could not give-up my hair yet.  I needed to grow 4-5 more inches, so it would not be too short. 

In June, a little girl from my hometown - Pensacola, FL, who's parents are just a few years older than me was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer that occurs either in or around the bones.  I found out about her diagnoses through friends from Pensacola who started liking her facebook page Praying for Carolyn.  I visited her page and the story was so moving, that I had to like it as well, so I could follow her updates.  Within a week of liking her page, Carolyn started losing her hair.  As an adult I cannot imagine that reality, I could not even begin to think about what it might be for a child.  I decided right then that now was the time.  I contacted Carolyn's family through the facebook page and asked where I should donate.  They said they had been working with Children with Hair Loss  out of Michigan.  I contacted them to find out that they were in desperate need of blonde hair (which Carolyn would need) because there are so few people with natural blonde hair to donate (hair cannot be processed). 

It did take me a day, but I made an appointment for that week with my friend Mal's hairdresser at .  I had e-mailed Carolyn's family and Children with Hair Loss that my hair was coming, so there was no backing out this time.  On a Thursday afternoon, I arrived at All About You Salon in Charlotte to make the big cut.  I had not had my hair cut in a salon for almost two years -- I had just been going to the Aveda Institute because it was such an easy cut while I was growing it out.  I was more than a little nervous. 

Kayce was amazing and helped me measure it out and pick a style.  We put my hair in three pony tails and she made the big cut.  The side pony tails did not make a huge difference, but when she cut the one in the back, it was an immediate difference -- I felt like 20 pounds have been taken away. 

While my hair is very, very different -- I have received great compliments and it is so easy to style.  I'm not sure I'll keep it this short, but it is good to know it works short as well.  The greatest part of it is, there is a little girl who will have hair while she fights a horrible battle. 

The Holy Blonde

Little Miss Carolyn

My hair on Christmas Morning
After the Big Cut...



No comments: